In England Parliament makes the law and the courts then interpret it. In practice how the courts interpret it is as important as what Acts of Parliament say - this is known as Precedence. If a case goes to the Court of Appeal then that case should be binding on lower courts. We here list the important CoA cases and for each say why it is important.
Case Law on
- CoA McKenzie Friends
- CoA Shared Residence
- CoA Costs
- CoA Splitting matrimonial assets
- CoA Local Authority Housing
- Leave to Remove
- Interdependence of Actions by Parents - what you do/do-not need to tell the other parent before or after doing it.
Other Case Law
- P (a child), 2006 A mother is comitted to prison for contempt, also contact must be consistent
- Re A (Residence Order), June 2007 Contact is reversed due to hostility of resident parent
- Re C (Residence Order), July 2007. Transfer of residence of the child from the mother to the father due to obstruction of contact by mother.
- Case Law tagged on this wiki
- Bailii provides certain law reports
- Search for the Family Law Reports at Bailii
- Family at judgmental.org.uk - this is new (2011) and is not complete
- Interesting cases listed at SPIG
- Interesting cases listed at FNF
Some Law Explained
- Burden of proving allegations, The balance of probability standart explained
- Legal provision for separate representation of children
- Shared Parenting Information Group have some summaries